For anyone who is thinking to yourself "Uhhh, what's soccer golf?" I will explain the game fully for you now. Soccer golf is derived from disc golf which is derived from traditional golf (little dimpled ball and clubs). It is based on the concept of starting in one place, with a goal of reaching a target, known in golf as a hole (because there actually is a little hole in the ground). In soccer golf, you use your leg as a club and a soccer ball as the golf ball. The "hole" typically is not a hole, but any object that is relatively stationary and reachable by kicking. The object, then, is to reach the hole (hit it with the soccer ball) in as few shots, or strokes, as possible.
There is a video online of a soccer golf shot where players are shooting into a barrel. This method clearly gives you a very well defined and unmistakeable target, however, it has a weakness. It detracts from the freelance nature of the game. Soccer golf, in our incarnation of it, should be free-flowing and organic, using only the bare minimum in resources and preparation. The game itself should have the ability to flex and change with the attitudes of its players, to adapt to differing skill levels, changing conditions, and new challenges in the landscape. In these qualities, it aims to be different from golf and even disc golf. Could it possibly evolve into a form where specific soccer golf "holes" are installed and people use carriers with different types of balls for different shots? Yes, it's conceivable, but let's hope not, for the sake of the essence of the game. Clearly, if you have differing views, please share them and send comments to the blog in, please. We would love to hear from anyone who happens to see and/or read this.
In a world where nothing goes right,
one man is still trying to find a way to put it together,
piece by piece.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well, this is going to make your year, I bet. I too am an avid soccergolfer, and have been for about 6 years. I thought maybe I invented it out here in California back in 2002, but doing some research on the net I came across a website put out from some guys in North Carolina back in 2000-2001 which details the sport well. As far as I can tell these guys started it (even if both you and I came up with it independently).
Anyway, here's the link.
www.unc.edu/~galperin/new_whatis.htm
And if thats not amazing enough, they are playing our sport in europe, on actual soccergolf courses. Check out this link for that:
www.worldfootballgolf.com
Perhaps one day we can have a Maine vs. California tournament. In the meantime, I can refer you to my own site on the topic...
soccergolf.bravehost.com
Check it out my soccergolf brother!
Anthony Catanzaro
President of NAPSGAL
Post a Comment